Two crazy kids from the midwest travel to Russia in the dark of winter, with a dream... to stand in Red Square in January...

Saturday, January 26, 2008

SATURDAY - Market Day: Outdoor Dining in Winter! Yay!

SATURDAY - While in Ismaylovo shopping, we stopped to eat for a bit at these wonderful outdoor grilling places. What a terrific experience. I have always wanted to find somewhere that served food outdoors in the winter in the states, but have never found something like this where it's true outdoor dining, even the kitchen is outside. I also wonder why we don't embrace winter like this in states. This is really good fun!





The food was all grilled meats, fresh vegetables on the side if you like, and some grilled bread. Very simple and very delicious. They grill on skewers rather than grills (pretty smart) and the results are amazing. They also use a natural charcoal (you can see it was a branch or log or whatever before it was made into charcoal) and it creates a terrific heat and wonderful flavor. I watched them for a while as they started by searing the meat over a hot spot and then moving to a cooler area to slowly cook and take up all the smokiness of the charcoal.





I got the lamb and all of our entrees were served with a tangy chili sauce, a hot slab of grilled bread and fresh sliced pickles (sliced thick), onions, and tomato. I should mention at this point that often when sliced fresh onions are served as condiments like this, they're sprinkled with fresh chopped dill. Wonderful!





Jeri and Suzie seated nearby as Bill orders and I take pictures.











Everyone's pretty friendly in eating establishements and a fellow next to us was having lunch too right at our table. He was pretty super and allowed me to photograph his meal, which was really cool to me. Bill told me it was normal Russian fare for lunch that most workers would have during their lunch time. It was some fresh vegetables, pickles, some fragrant rye, a soda, and of course, vodka. Yup, that clear stuff in the bottle (about half the size of the soda bottle, 8oz maybe?) is vodka. Any one from work reading this, I say we all switch to this for lunch. As soon as I get back. Ok, now.

Oh and the chefs there asked if I'd like to take my picture with them. Of course I did! :)







No comments: